Choose a suitable children's footwear according to the child's age It is very important to allow a correct development of the feet, which will have a decisive influence on the correct evolution of the gait. Knowing which shoes are the right ones based on the child's developmental stage is important because children's feet take several years to acquire the shape and position they will have when they are older.
In general, it is important to know that babies should not be put on shoes until they start to crawl and that until the age of four or five, the ligaments and muscles in children's feet are not well developed. For this reason, it is advisable to only put shoes on them after 18 months of life. Going barefoot is good for promoting their sensory development.
The shoes that the child wears will shape their feet until they are fully developed. Therefore, in choosing children's footwear, parents should not be influenced by aesthetic issues, but by medical recommendations that positively affect the development of the feet, an organ in constant evolution in the child, in relation to their age and development. of the March.
As stated Javier Ferrer, Podiatrist at Hospitales Nisa 'wearing a baby, even if it is beautiful, is completely harmful, since the bone structure of a child takes time to fully consolidate. So if we cover them, when they have not yet developed, we are undermining their optimal development. '
- From 0 to crawling
Socks or booties are enough to protect your baby's feet from the cold. Footwear is not recommended during this stage.
- Crawling phase
To protect your baby's feet from shocks during their crawling phase, you need flexible shoes made of noble fabrics, with protection on both the toe and heel and a 2-3 mm soft sole. It is convenient to monitor the baby's feet for rubbing.
- From 1-3 years
When the baby begins to walk, he should wear shoes with flexible soles that allow him to feel any terrain under his feet. In addition, if they have velcro, the child himself can tie and untie himself, favoring his psychomotor development.
- From 4-7 years
The shoe must avoid injuries, since at this stage the foot is very active, and prevent it from suffering any pathology.
- From 7-14 years
The child begins to establish the adult gait pattern, and the foot is not fully developed. At this stage, children tend to get carried away by fashion, but they don't always choose the most suitable footwear.
1. In the first months, put on socks or booties to protect from the cold.
2. Never put your child on shoes before he starts walking.
3. It must be longer than the foot: 1 to 1.5 cm longer than the longest toe.
4. Shoes should be changed frequently for others more appropriate for the size of the foot.
5. The toe of the shoe should be wide and long, so that the toes can move freely.
6. Walking barefoot on uneven terrain favors the development of the child.
7. Do not wear shoes with standard soles. If templates are required, they must be custom made.
8. Footwear must be made of breathable materials and flexible leathers.
9. It should not disturb the use, even if it is new.
10. Do not wear low-top shoes, because they do not allow the ankle to move.
11. The sole must be flexible enough to allow mobility of the joints.
12. If the sole wears abnormally in a short time, you should go to the podiatrist for a biomechanical study and be able to rule out possible gait disorders.
Hospital Nisa Pardo de Aravaca, in Madrid
You can read more articles similar to The right children's footwear according to the child's age, in the category of Orthopedics and on-site traumatology.