There are traditional games for boys and girls of always, classic games that little ones have had fun with from all generations and from different parts of the world. They are activities that, in some cases, were already played by children in ancient Greece or in the Egypt of the pharaohs.
It may change the name of the game depending on where in the world the activity takes place, and it may even have some different variations or rules, but are the same games in Europe, Africa or America. The survival of these games depends on the new generations knowing them. What are your children's favorites?
They are classic games because they are simple, simple to play, they do not need a large outlay of money and also stimulate children's reasoning, logic, balance, motor development or the ability to make friends.
Do you want to know what they are the classic games that most entertain children? Some of them are perfect to have a good time at home, both alone and with friends or siblings. Others of these games are to be played on the street, in a park or in a garden. Let's see them ... and have fun with them!
For children's games to be really fun, they need to be tailored to the age, abilities and skills of the children. For this reason, here are some ideas for your sons and daughters to have fun with games distributed according to their age.
- Games for babies from 0 to 2 years
In this period, the game is the main engine to stimulate children and that they reach the different milestones, learnings and skills that must be consolidated at this age. At this time, children love toys that are not (we suggest that you make a treasure basket for your baby with some safe everyday objects that we have around the house) and games without toys (which usually involve activities and games with parents).
Homemade sensory bottles, the game of 'cucu-tras', throwing soft balls at us, tearing papers, playing with bubbles, homemade instruments that make noise ... All these games fascinate younger children.
- Game ideas for ages 3 to 5
Now that children have complete freedom of movement, they are ready to discover (and conquer) the world around them. For this reason, most of the games that fascinate them are oriented to this purpose, but also to continue developing their social skills, language, fine motor skills ...
Children of this stage will like to play races, hide and seek, role-playing games ... But they will also love to exploit all their creativity through crafts and reading books.
- What to play with children from 6 to 8 years old
We tend to think that games are for young children, however, playful activities are still essential for children from 6 to 8 years old, as they continue to be the best way of learning. At this age, in addition, we can take advantage of the activities to reinforce the knowledge that the little ones acquire at school.
Children from 6 to 8 years old will like to play puzzles, tongue twisters, riddles, role-playing games ... But they will also enjoy practicing different sports, reading (now that they can read by themselves). .
- Games from 8 years
At this stage, games are a way to socialize with friends and family, but also to continue developing skills. Board games, cards or cards, strategy games, chess ... All of these are traditional games that children of these ages tend to like a lot.
Children need to play, because in this way they learn, develop and have fun. There are many studies that indicate that, from the first years to adolescence, play is an essential engine for children to develop their cognitive abilities but also physical and social skills.
- When they play, children learn some of the basic skills that they will need during childhood, but also in adulthood: language, emotions, body control, attention ...
- The game allows and encourages interaction, both with their peers and with adults. Therefore, it is the ideal way to develop social skills, as well as helping to build a secure affective attachment and a pleasant atmosphere in which to grow and learn.
- Through play, children too release tensions and stress from day to day. It allows them a moment of relaxation in which they decide what they want to do.
- Using the game, children put into practice what they have learned and what they still have to learn. For example, and as indicated in the report 'Learning through play' by Unicef and The Lego Foundation, children learn to solve problems that arise, to negotiate and agree with others, to reason in a logical way , to learn from mistakes, to establish a plan and put it into practice ...
We are going to ask you a question: how long does your child play each day? Unfortunately, for some little ones, the answer is nothing! And it is that often, between going to school (and returning), extracurricular activities, homework, dinner, the bathroom ... Suddenly we realize that it is time to go to bed and we have not given not a moment of respite (and play) to our children.
All children need to play every day, because as we have already seen the game is very beneficial for the little ones. In addition, it is beneficial that these games are sometimes in the company of friends or family, but also alone.
If we ask how many hours children need to play, the answer for all age ranges should be: 'as long as possible'. However, it is normal to appreciate that as children grow (and with this increase their activities and responsibilities) they have less time to dedicate to leisure. Despite this, and as a general normal it is recommended:
- From birth to 6 years, play is the main activity for the child.
- In children from 6 to 12 years old, the ideal is that they enjoy at least one hour of games a day, beyond the purely school.
- From the age of 12, adolescents continue to need time, at least weekly, to enjoy it beyond their responsibilities.
[Read +: Games for three children]
You may have already noticed: at no time have we talked about games with consoles, mobiles, tablets and computers. Although we cannot consider them traditional games (since generations ago they did not even exist), the truth is that they are increasingly important in the leisure of our children, due to the time they spend on them (sometimes daily).
Far from demonizing and generalizing that the use of video games is harmful to children (because it is not always so and not all video games are bad), we must take into account some usage time limits that experts point out. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends:
- Avoid mobile phones in children under 18 to 24 months, beyond video calls. In case they consume digital content, always accompany them in the visualization.
- In children from 2 to 5 years of age limit the use to one hour a day, always of quality content.
- In children 5 years and older, other activities that are healthier and that encourage children to be active should always be prioritized: one hour of physical exercise a day, between 8 and 10 hours of sleep, time for the family, playtime, homework ... Once all these activities have been completed, you can make room for the table, computer and game console.
You can read more articles similar to Traditional games for boys and girls, in the Games on Site category.