The oldest celebration of Mother's Day is mythological. It started in ancient Greece, around the festivities in honor of Rhea, the mother of the Gods Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto.
At the beginning of the 17th century England began to dedicate the fourth Sunday of Lent to all operating mothers. On this day they were released from their jobs so that they could stay home with their children and their mothers. On this day called 'Serving Mother Sunday', it was celebrated with the preparation of a cake.
In the United States, the first suggestion to the creation of Mother's Day occurred in the 19th century, when the writer Julia Ward Howe organized a meeting of mothers dedicated to peace in Boston. From there, the fight to honor mothers was taken up by Anna Jarvis, at the beginning of the 20th century, in a small town in the State of West Virginia.
Accompanied by a group of friends, Anna started a movement to institute a day when all children could honor their mothers.
That fight helped her get out of a deep depression Due to the death of his mother, and in a short time the celebration spread throughout the country causing President Wilson to make Mother's Day official as a national holiday, being celebrated every second Sunday of the month of May.
Over time, many other countries, from different parts of the world, joined the celebration. The main idea of Anna Javis was to strengthen family ties and respect for parents. A dream come true.
But over time, the celebration lost its meaning for her. The popularity of the party made the date become a lucrative day for merchants, mainly for those who sold white carnations, the flower that symbolizes motherhood.
Anna Javis, who spent practically her entire life fighting for people to recognize the importance and value of mothers, entered with a process to annul Mother's Day, but was unsuccessful. "I didn't create Mother's Day for profit," she angrily told a reporter in 1923.
He died in 1948, at 84 years of age. He received commemorative cards from all over the world for years, but did not get to feel what it was to be a mother.
And now we are going to tell you a curiosity that not everyone knows: not all countries celebrate Mother's Day on the same day:
- In most of Europe mothers are honored on first Sunday of May, although in some others they do coincide with the Day of the Working Woman.
- In Latin American countries, the date also varies:
- In Mexico for example, is the May 10. The Mexicans decided on this date thanks to the instance of the journalist Rafael Alducín in the newspaper "Excelsior" on April 13, 1922. On May 10 of that year the festival was celebrated for the first time.
- In Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Puerto RicoIt is celebrated on the second Sunday of the month of May.
- In Argentina they celebrate it on the third Sunday in October. But the most important thing is not the date, but the recognition and remembrance of the value of all mothers.
- In Nicaragua, to put another case, May 30 was chosen because on that date it was the birthday of Casimira sacasa, mother of the wife of Anastasio Somoza, then president of this country in the decade of the 40s.
- In Bolivia, is celebrated on May 27.
- In Costa Rica It is celebrated on August 15 for the commemoration of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, who for Catholics is the best example to follow in terms of motherhood. It is a holiday throughout the country and a non-working day by law.
- In Panama, is celebrated on December 8, the day of the Immaculate Conception.
In the United States, Mother's Day is celebrated every year on the second Sunday in May, this day is celebrated thanks to two women, one of them Julia Ward Howe, writer and author of the anthem of the Republic. In 1872 she began to hold meetings to celebrate Mother's Day in Boston, where she lived. And the other influence is Ann Marie Reeves Jarvis, a housewife who created the International Mother's Day Association in 1905.
The affection for a mother or any family member or friend should not be shown only on this date, you have to try to do it every day of the year with small gestures. But since this time we want this day to be something special, we are going to think of a gift for each type of mother. Thus, being something more personalized, it will make you much more excited!
- Gifts for sports mothers
Sport is the great hobby of many mothers, as it allows them to discharge all the adrelin accumulated throughout the day, de-stress, recharge and renew themselves inside and out. Therefore, a good detail that children can have is to put on their tracksuit and sneakers and prepare an exercise table at home, especially if the weather or circumstances do not accompany them to go out. In addition, you can use any object that you have at hand, for example, milk bottles can make weights, and chairs, steps. It will be very fun!
- Gifts for movie-loving mothers
For other types of women, their moment of disconnection with the world occurs when they sit on the couch with the remote in their hands and select a good movie on Netflix or any other platform. You can take the opportunity to see some about motherhood or, also, to choose a funny comedy. Of course, the children and the father are in charge of preparing the popcorn. Done deal?
- Gifts for kitchen mothers
They say that men are conquered by the stomach, but also women! If at home you have an aspiring to the next edition of Master Chef, nothing better than to surprise her with some unique and original recipes. You just have to know if mom is more sweet or salty, check that you have all the ingredients in the pantry and ... get down to work!
- Gifts for letter-loving mothers
If mom's bedside table is full of books, here is the key to what she would like to receive as a gift on Mother's Day! Why don't we try something different this year and put our creativity to work to bring a poem or story to life? One trick to making up stories is to match different literary characters and create a story from there. For example, putting Harry Potter together with Little Red Riding Hood and taking them to BoB Sponge's house at the bottom of the sea.
Do you dare to represent a theater play inspired by Mother's Day? You will have a great time and Mom will be very excited.
- Gifts for mothers passionate about crafts
If every week mom sits down with her offspring to do a craft, don't you think it's time to give her back those hours in the form of a gift made without her help and with your own hands? It doesn't have to be complicated, just make a drawing or look for some recycling material that you have around the living room or bedrooms: plastic cups, cardboard egg cartons, rolls of toilet paper ... Here what counts! it is the intention and the detail not the result (although if it looks beautiful, the better!).
Mothers are the protagonists of many of the stories they tell their children every night before going to bed. You may not have noticed, right? That is why we suggest that on Mother's Day you select some of these beautiful stories.
You can read more articles similar to The history of Mother's Day, in the category of Mother's Day on site.